Wednesday, July 28, 2010

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???!!!!

After far too long a time with nothing but the previous MARK AND DEE comics filling in for me, I'm back to my full powers of observation and making up goofy s#!t.

InConJunction July 2nd-4th was once again a huge success for the Whoosier Network, with a much bigger room this time and perfect audio and visual equipment thanks to or good friend James Robinson from Cincinnati. His contributions, and those of Stephen Kendall, gave everyone a chance to see this season's Doctor Who on a big screen and surround sound.

I, of course, precided and hosted over the room for the 49-hour marathon of the 31st Season, classic Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures, and other cool extras we scrounged up, making me Who Fandom's Jerry Lewis... especially at the end when I was looking and feeling pretty scraggily. But the final two episodes, "The Pandorica Opens" and "The Big Bang", played to packed houses, with the finale blowing the roof off the place.

Amazingly, everything went without a hitch thanks to plenty of prep time to get everything set up. In fact there was only glitch during the entire weekend... while I was napping during the wee hours of Saturday morning during the running of Torchwood, someone swiped my cellphone. Many of the Whovian and Who-Net community rallied to help me out, from offering me time on their cells so I could stay in contact with Deena at home to posting posters around the convention hall to see if it could be located. I was reminded how close and tightknit our club can really be.


Anyway, we had some great panels, headed up by myself, Pyramid Magazine editor and writer Steven Marsh, and our guest-of-honor author Keith R.A. DeCandido (who currently writes the ongoing Farscape comic book), and a terrific round of "Are You Smarter Than a Sci-Fi Geek?", with valuable collectibles going out as the grand prizes. We also had the premiere of my fan video set to the tune of "Doctor Who is Gonna Fix It", and some of Craig Ferguson's hilarious comments about Doctor Who.

I'll have some more commentary about the convention in our next session. Don't be late!

No comments:

Post a Comment