Sunday, March 28, 2010

Death is Eating High on the Hog


After laying low for quite a while, Death got out a knife and fork and started going to town this week on some of my childhood idols... Peter Graves the week before, then earlier this week Robert Culp, and yesterday one of the comics industry's great movers and shakers, Dick Giordano. I was fortunate enough to meet him several years ago at a convention where he signed several issues of his classic colloborations with Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams on Batman. Sadly, I lost a few of those books in the flood of '08, but I still retained a few because they were in a box a few feet over the floor. His crisp inks could make the worst hack artist's pencils look good, and fortunately he was paired mostly with great pencillers... Adams, Bob Brown, Irv Novick, George Perez, to name a few. But even more so than his artwork, his generosity and ability to seek out new talent as an editor at DC Comics make his passing a great tragedy indeed. His work both on and off the page was a great inspiration to me, and I feel very fortunate that I had that one chance to tell him how I felt. Thanks, Dick, for all those great comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment